GREEN CUT GLASS BOTTLE
From the 9th century, Islamic artists revived the skills and techniques of glassmaking which had sadly been lost after the demise of the Roman empire. Many methods including the millefiori technique, overlay glass, sandwich glass, luster and enamel decoration and various kinds of cutting and engraving techniques were rediscovered, improved and mastered.
This bottle demonstraits the incredible knowledge and skill of the maker in every aspect. The form is clean and pure, with high sides, an elegent long tapered neck and simple flared lip. The cut decoration is intricate and well placed. However, the crowning glory of this wonderful piece is its rich jewel-tone green colour.
An almost identical bottle can be found in the Islamic Department of the Staatliche Museen Berlin. Lit: Sammlung Hentrich, No. 407.
Previously in the Private Collection of Mr Wladimir Rosenbaum (1894-1984), Ascona, Switzerland, who acquired this object at some point between 1972-1975 from an art gallery.
Subsequently inherited to his wife Sybille Rosenbaum-Kroeber (1915-1997) in 1984.
Thence by descent to her son Bernd Kroeber in 1997, Hesse, Germany.
Note on the Provenance
Vladimir Rosenbaum (1894-1984) was a Swiss lawyer, antiquarian and art dealer of Russian-Jewish origin. He was the son of a Jewish lawyer and Duma deputy. To protect against pogroms in Russia, the father brought him in 1902 to Switzerland. Since 1903 he lived first with his mother in Geneva . After the boarding school in Glarisegg (where he was a classmate of Friedrich Glauser ), he studied law at the University of Bern . He was later naturalized in Zurich and was married from 1917 to 1940 with the concert pianist Aline Valangin , with whom he ran a salon in Zurich , where he maintained close ties to the artistic avant-garde, among others were Hans Arpand Max Ernst , Ignazio Silone and Ernst Toller , Elias Canetti , Thomas Mann , Hermann Hesse and Martin Buber their guests. He worked at the food office and earned a lawyer’s license .
He also had contact with CG Jung and psychoanalysis , was friends with representatives of Dadaism in Zurich, made at the same time career as a defense lawyer and was committed against National Socialism and anti-Semitism . In 1929, he and his wife acquired Casa Barca in Comologno in the Onsernone Valley , which became a meeting place for persecuted artists. Including Kurt Tucholsky , Ignazio Silone , Elias Canetti , Max Bill , Meret Oppenheim and Max Ernst .
After the loss of his license to practice law in 1937, he and his wife moved to Ascona , where he lived until 1984 as an antiquarian and art dealer in the Casa Serodine and built a new life. In 1939 he gave the speech for the opening of the Museum of the Expressionist artist Marianne von Werefkin , today’s Fondazione Marianne Werefkin . He was married for the second time to the Swiss photographer and writer Anne de Valenti-Montet (1912-2009), in his third marriage, since 1957, with the librarian and actress Sybille Kroeber (1915-1997).
“3000 Jahre Glaskunst”, Kunstmuseum Luzern, Switzerland, 19th July to 20th September, 1981
“3000 Jahre Glaskunst”, Kunstmuseum Luzern, 1981, No. 596.